M.J. Michaelsen was founded on the 13th of June 1829 by the Michaelsen family and functioned as a textile import business until the year 1900. The building on Havnegade 51 was the work place of 30 employees. In 1903 the company began collaborating with the Italian company Borsalino, establishing MJM as a wholesaler of hats. Following the successful partnership with Borsalino, MJM established partnerships with other well-known brands such as La Chapellerie Française, Christy & Co. London, Stetson USA and Battersbye London.
Gradually the company increased the wholesale part of the business, and was owned by the Michaelsen family up until 1950. The company was passed on to the Jensen family (Erik Jensen was married to Margit Michaelsen, granddaughter of the founder of MJM). Thus the company left the textile business, choosing to focus exclusively on hats and accessories.
In 1983, the company – now counting three employees – was bought by the Gelfi family. Today, Erik Gelfi is the owner of the company which has grown to 14 employees, selling hats, fur hats, caps and accessories for both men and women – retail and wholesale – in Denmark and 10 other countries.